Monday 12 December 2011

INTERVIEW: PETER CLARKE OF IKECHUKWU'S WORLD FAMOUS AKADEMY


IKECHUKWU (MIDDLE),  PETER CLARKE (RIGHT)


Peter Preston Clarke a.k.a Peter Clarke is a young dynamic, upcoming rapper/singer who developed an interest very early in life. He won the GLO G-BAM show rap battle in 2010. And appeared on Jimmy's Jump Off. He has worked with the likes of Knighthouse, e-twinz, Kraft, Xela, Joshbeats in producing some of his songs.
He got signed to World Famous Akademy this year. To him, music is life and everything.


Source-Q caught up with him recently:

Debbie: How did your interest in music start?
PETER CLARKE: Well, I had a roommate back in  High school, my senior,  who used to rap a lot, and he was getting attention. So I liked the attention he was getting and I wanted it too.

Bobby: So now you’re getting the attention?
PETER CLARKE: *laughs* Yeah yeah….haha…its too much now.

Debbie: Who writes your songs and what are they about?
Bobby: What motivates you to write?
PETER CLARKE: I write my songs.  About everything. Everything motivates me. School, traffic, birds, could be anything at all.

Ummie: What’s one song that you wrote that was inspired by something?
PETER CLARKE: There’s this song I haven’t released, it was about the Niger Delta Crisis, I wrote a story about it, did a song.

Ummie: But you haven’t released  it?
PETER CLARKE: No I haven't. I have a lot of songs I haven’t released.

Ummie: What's a song you’ve released that was inspired by something?
PETER CLARKE: Hmmm….''ur hawt'' with Ikechukwu….that was inspired by girls. *laughs*

*all laugh*

Bobby: Any particular girl?
PETER CLARKE: Nah nah nah

Debbie: So who are your greatest music influences?
PETER CLARKE: Ikechukwu, Jay Z, Kanye West, Mode nine, Terry tha rapman. Mode nine and Terry tha rapman taught me how to rap personally. Terry tha rapman used to live on my street and he actually taught me how to rap.

Debbie: How would you describe your music?
PETER CLARKE: My music is funny, witty, and entertaining.

Bobby: Where do you see urself in the next two, three years?
PETER CLARKE: I’ll be a superstar….*laughs*…seriously, I’ll be on the same level as wizkid, by God's grace.

Debbie: So you like wizkid?
PETER CLARKE: I like his music, it's entertaining.

Debbie: Whats the best part of making music to you?
PETER CLARKE: It’s amazing. When I’m recording, I don’t think about anything except music. It's like a sex addict having sex, or an alcoholic drinking. It's the most amazing feeling in the world. Making music is the best thing. Music is everything.

Bobby: So do you ever get random tunes in your head? What do you do to preserve the tune?
PETER CLARKE: I record it, anywhere I am, in the shower, on the road. I record it on my phone, or go to the studio.

Bobby: So you record often?
PETER CLARKE: Yeah, I’m in the studio a lot. Like the WFA studio back in Nigeria, or I record with SoundSmith here in Ghana. Its like practice. I have lots of songs I haven’t released. I record a lot now just for practice.

Bobby: So will you leak anything anytime soon?
PETER CLARKE: Me?....nah…..hahaha….Dont worry though, you guys will hear stuff soon. I’m just trying to finish up with school, before anything. My mum didn’t want me dropping out of school. She said I could do my music but I had to do school too. So it has a lot to do with timing.

Debbie: So you wont be releasing any album before you finish with school?
PETER CLARKE: Anything can happen, could be before or after.

Debbie: Have you got any previous album out?
PETER CLARKE: No not yet, I just have mixtape songs for now. But I’ll be releasing something soon.

Bobby: Do you like working with other artistes?
PETER CLARKE: When I work with someone, its usually for something, for a reason.

Ummie: So why did you work with Ikechukwu?
PETER CLARKE: Ahhhhh, He’s my oga na….my boss.

Ummie: Is it that you guys just met? And he signed you?
Debbie: Yeah, how did you get signed to WFA?
PETER CLARKE: *laughs* I was just at some studio recording with friends, and he walked in while I was freestyling, then I started going hard, because I guessed he was feeling it, so I was really happy. Like when he walked in I literally was like ''whoa!…wow!’’….I had never met Ikechukwu before, even though I’d met other celebs in my life. Then he listened to some of my songs. Its kinda a really long story, but anyway, we had a meeting after that, and it all went down. And yeah, then I released ‘’Ill est malad’’, a mix tape track, and ‘’whats ma name’’, mixtape track as well.

Bobby: So are you single? Or you know doing some under G things?
PETER CLARKE: *laughs* I;m single hahahaha….nah nah nah…no under G….

Ummie: What makes you different from other musicians?
PETER CLARKE: I can think…I think hard. Like if someone says  ‘I’m the star of this movie, you're just an extra ’, I’ll go ahead to say…*pause*…ok I actually came up with something....''Hail to the naysayers, I'll be sure to say praise for your name. I'm the star of this movie, and y'all just the day players.''  
I think, I really think…..

Debbie: Outside the box…
PETER CLARKE: Yeah, outside the box.

Bobby: Do you think you would ever come back and be like…I’m done with this, I’m done with music?
PETER CLARKE: I cant say, I might go all the way, become a Lagbaja or something…*laughs* seriously…
I cant say though, I might do business, go into music business and all. But at this point in my life, Music is all the way for me.

Debbie:  Do you have a contract with WFA to release an album or something?
PETER CLARKE: The thing is, WFA, is a family. I’m just trying to take my time,  and let everything fall into place. To do it all at the right time. 

Video link to his Jimmy's Jump Off performance:



To listen and download some of his songs:

1. Speakers Gonna Hammer (Ill Est Malad) Click here
2. What's ma name Click here
3. Ur Hawt Ft. Ikechukwu Click here




No comments:

Post a Comment